IBM’s Interconnect conference is March 19-23 this year. There’s quite a few interesting sessions currently lined up related to VMware and IBM Cloud:
- Monday at 2pm, Dream Payments deploys international payment networks with IBM Cloud for VMware Solutions
- Tuesday at 11:30am, Achieving and maintaining security and compliance in a hybrid cloud
- Tuesday at 2:30pm, Networking Magic: Intercontinental vMotion on IBM Bluemix Infrastructure in minutes
- Tuesday at 3:45pm, A deep dive into the cloud transformation journey of a large European bank
- Wednesday at 11:15am, Breaking virtualization beyond datacenter boundaries at CIBC
- Wednesday at 11:15am, Addressing workload / data geo-fencing challenges in cloud by leveraging NIST Publication IR 7904
- Wednesday at 2pm, Next generation digital workplace-as-a-service with Cancom AHP on IBM Bluemix with VMware
- Wednesday at 3:15pm, VMware on IBM Cloud: A Clarient case study on the death of traditional CAPEX
- Wednesday at 3:15pm, ONTAP Select on IBM Cloud: Deploying a validated software-defined storage solution for hybrid cloud
- Wednesday at 4:15pm, Design and deployment of VMware on IBM Cloud: Multiplus case study
- Thursday at 8:30am, IBM and VMware: Connecting it all
- Thursday at 10:30am, DevOps within the hybrid cloud: Deploying to the VMware platform on the IBM Cloud
- Thursday at 10:30am, Puzzled? Learn how IBM solutions complete each other to drive your digital transformation
I hope to see you at Interconnect 2017!
The IBM SoftLayer VPN only supports connection to 64 of your private subnets. If you have more than 64 private subnets in your SoftLayer account, you need to switch your VPN’s subnet management from Automatic to Manual, and select the specific subnets to which you want to connect.
The process for selecting subnets in the UI is not simple, especially if your account has hundreds of subnets. The subnets are not sorted, the dialog is small, and the pagination is slow.
However, it is possible to manage your VPN subnets programmatically using the SoftLayer API. I have created a Python script that allows you to manage your SoftLayer VPN subnet access. The script requires your SoftLayer username, API key, and a list of private IP addresses to which you want to connect. The script locates the subnets in your account that match your selected IP addresses, and assigns exactly these subnets to your SoftLayer VPN account.
You should wait a few minutes after running the script for it to take effect.
Last week I helped to facilitate an IBM PureApplication pattern camp in Kuala Lumpur, where we helped PureApplication customers and business partners from Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam to build their own patterns. While there was snow and ice back home in Raleigh, it was very bright and warm in Kuala Lumpur!
Along the way we had a chance to discuss best practices for script packages and scripting, high availability and disaster recovery, multi-system deployment, IBM Bluemix running directly on PureApplication System, and best practices for backup. It’s exciting to see PureApplication growing in Southeast Asia!
I’d like to offer my congratulations to a number of my PureApplication colleagues for the successful release last month of their work to support BlueMix Local on PureApplication System.
While you may have missed it in the original announcement of Bluemix Local, PureApplication System is the premier home for deploying Bluemix Local on-premise, because it combines Bluemix with the strengths of PureApplication, including unified hardware and firmware management and Call Home.